Custom Search

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chicken and Dressing

My husbands mother was like many southern women and could take little to nothing and make a meal of it. Chicken and dressing was one of those dishes the first time she asked me to make it I had no idea how to do it. You see I thought you did it like turkey and dressing not the manner that she would do it and not how it was called for in this recipe. It was still good but when I found out just how to do it was even better. I hope you enjoy and treat those you love to some chicken and dressing.


1 (2 1/2-pound) rotisserie chicken, skinned, boned, and shredded (about 4 cups)
6 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread
8 (1-ounce) firm white bread slices, torn into pieces
2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons ground sage
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened

Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 5-quart round slow cooker. Dot evenly with butter.
Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or on LOW 7 hours or until set. Stir well before serving.
Note: Many grocery delis offer baked cornbread; just steer away from the sweet variety for this recipe.

recipe source here

shared at
What We Accomplished Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so if you have a minute leave me your thoughts on the above post